Monday, December 17, 2007

In Other News OR Be Careful What You Wish For

While I was busy getting my eyes lasik-ed, Brad took Zander to the Pediatric ENT for an evaluation of the ear tube that is still in his ear. (The ENT just so happened to be in the same building as the Lasik, so they were able to come see the procedure in progress when they were done.)

As I've mentioned before, Z had the tubes put in when he was 11 months old. They were supposed to fall out by themselves somewhere between six months and two years after insertion. Shortly after the surgery (like minutes), I remember thinking to myself, "Please, please don't let them fall out after only six months," since this would mean he would likely need another set.

Well, as the old saying goes, be careful what you wish for. Indeed, one of the tubes has *not* fallen out on its own and Z is now scheduled for surgery (with general anesthesia!) in mid January.

From kidshealth.org:

In most cases, surgery to remove a tympanostomy tube is not necessary. The tube usually falls out on its own, pushed out as the eardrum heals....If the tube remains in the eardrum beyond 2 to 3 years, however, it will likely be removed surgically to prevent a perforation in the eardrum or accumulation of debris around the tube. [The bolding is my emphasis.]

When he was 11 months old and had the surgery to put the tubes in, I kept thinking that I wished he was older because at least then I could better explain the scary circumstances. Now, I keep thinking that I wish he were 11 months old so I don't have to explain the scary circumstances!

1 comment:

Simona said...

Oh, no! I'm sorry to hear this. I hope everything goes well.