Monday, January 14, 2008

It's just a procedure. It's just a procedure. It's just a procedure.

Got the call today. The one from Fairfax Surgical Center with details about Zander's upcoming "procedure" mentioned here. (I like calling it a "procedure" instead of "surgery." Kind of sounds like he is going to get a splinter removed instead of being put under general anesthesia.)

He's got a pre-surgical check-up with his pediatrician this Friday. I am so hoping that the stuck ear tube will have miraculously fallen out and we'll have to cancel the surgery, um, procedure. Alas, if that does not happen, we will likely have a very hungry preschooler on our hands come Monday morning. (He can't eat or drink for 12 hours beforehand; clear liquids until four hours prior.)

In the grand scheme of things, I know this is not a big deal. Children have more invasive and more critical surgery all the time and, as a result, I feel kind of guilty for even complaining. At the same time, Z is our one and only child and I am, after all, an overprotective Jewish mother. Sigh.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Hey there! Last January, A had to be put under anethesia to have her eyes examined and the pressure levels checked in her eyes to make sure she didn't have glaucoma. I was scared to death! So don't feel like you are overeacting....It is the anethesia that is scary, not the procedure. However, I must say A came thru like a champ. No hitches, no problems. The anethesioligst (sp???) was wonderful and A even liked him. He let me stay with her until she was unconsious. I am sure that Z will be just fine. Good luck and let me know how it goes (or went) :)

PortraitPlaytime said...

Hope all went well today and no surgery on Monday, but we will be thinking of you guys on Monday, just in case.

Jessica

JCB said...

Thanks Jessica! The tube is still in there, so the "procedure" is still on. :(
- Jill