Wednesday, January 16, 2008

TMI Alert!

This one is definitely TMI. So, stop reading now if you don't want to hear about poop. Yes, poop. Don't say I didn't warn you...

We’ve been giving Z a lot of space around the whole potty-training thing. This is pretty much the opposite of what we did when we started the process, e.g. every five minutes asking, “Do you have to go pee pee? Want to put some in the potty? How about now? What about now?”

Truth is, he had no problem with peeing in the potty. Stops whatever he is doing, gets up, and goes. But pooping in the potty was a whole different story. We tried charts, stickers, cars (from the movie Cars), and trains. Once we even said we would buy him a brand-new car when he turned 16 years old. (Not really.) For the record, there was once a time when I thought I would never bribe my child but that was when I didn't know squat.

Indeed, after a little bit of space -- okay a lot of space -- one day last week Z seemed to realize that all he had to do was put some poop in the potty (instead of a pull-up) and we would give him a brand-spankin' new train of the Thomas variety. Originally, when we had offered him this deal (1 poop = 1 train), we were desperate and actual pooping in the potty seemed like a distant possibility.

Fast forward to today.

Let’s just say I had to make an emergency run to Target to get more trains. Each train is between $10 and $20, so we’re already out about $100. Shameful I know. Absolutely shameful.

The good news is that Brad already has a great idea to wean Z off of the trains, which is doling out a piece or two of train track for each dump instead. (Look, I warned you that this post was TMI.) The even better news is that we seemed to have crossed the line in terms of where poop belongs. But I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch so we're sticking with trains for a little while longer.

And as the saleswoman at The Container Store said to me when I mentioned that our 3.5 year old had just put poop in the potty at school, "It's about time."

(FYI, I wasn't just talking to strangers about the poop thing. I had called Brad to ask him a question and he mentioned the school-pooping-milestone to me, so I just had to mention it to the woman who was helping me.)

No comments: