Saturday, February 23, 2008

Zoo Party: Part II

Z was so excited about the binoculars that came in the goody bag (at a National Zoo birthday party he attended, mentioned in this post) that he was running around looking through them non-stop. As he ran out of the party room I remember saying, “Walking feet please!” [Read: the story you are about to hear is not Jill's fault. Not Jill's fault. Not Jill's fault.] Next thing I know he is lying prone on the bricks, the binoculars are strewn a few feet ahead of him, and his mouth is open but no sound is coming out. Uh oh.

He stands up and I see the blood, but I’m not 100% sure where it’s coming from. Lips? Nose? Tongue? Missing teeth? Hands? All of the above?

About four or five other sets of parents stop to make sure everything is okay. Meanwhile, I’m trying to remain calm and find something to stop the bleeding, which is dripping down his face onto his jacket, etc. One of the other parents gives me a travel-sized pack of tissues. But, by this time Z is crying pretty hard and I can’t find a way to open them. Another parent gives me a whole stack of open tissues and I start blotting at Z’s face trying to see where the blood is coming from. Yet another parent hands me about four fabric diaper/wipe thingys and says, “Here . Use these. This is our last child. You can keep them.” Two folks suggested that I find the first aid center.

Long story short (or is it too late for that already?) all body parts were intact. It was just a fair amount of blood from a few different places in his mouth and on his lip so it only looked bad. We headed home soon after without having to go to first aid. On our short walk to the car Z said, “I never, ever want to go to this zoo again!” I asked why and he said, “Because the hills are TOO steep.”

Once we got home, he wanted only to go right to bed (for nap) because he said sleeping always makes him feel better. No books, no songs, just bed. Below are before and after pictures. The first photo is right after we arrived at the party. The second and third photos are after he was somewhat cleaned-up in the car on the way home.

2 comments:

wrekehavoc said...

poor baby!!!! i hope everyone is doing better!! that looks like it hurts. and face wounds always have so much blood. unfortunately, we know about that around here, too.

JCB said...

Thanks for the empathy wreke. I'm such a drama queen -- even when it's not I who is hurt!