Monday, March 10, 2008

Family Movie Night: Pooh's Heffalump Movie

To follow-up on really important matters (election, what election?), here is my long-awaited, much-anticipated review of Pooh's Heffalump Movie, mentioned a few weeks ago in this post about family movie night.

It was pretty darn good.

Now, I'm not going to compare it with say, Silence of the Lambs (one of the all-time scariest movies in my book). But I *will* compare it to Monsters Inc and Finding Nemo. It's not that I didn't enjoy Monsters Inc and Finding Nemo because I very much *did* enjoy them. But, they are not the ideal movie for our somewhat, possibly, maybe, highly sensitive 3.5 year old. Both have significant scary parts (where parents either die or get separated from their offspring), have menacing and/or potentially scary creatures, and are on the long side. (I will note, for the record, that my brother says I need to loosen up a bit and expose Z to these things before he is exposed to them at a friend's house. And I readily that admit I tend to air on the over-protective side.)

But, like most parents of preschoolers, we already deal with a host of scary things each night and don't need to add any more just for kicks. And although I'm trying hard not to pigeonhole my child, he does tend to be on the sensitive side. (Example: playing "Duck, Duck, Goose," for the first time yesterday, he broke into tears when he was tagged "Goose.") It's not good or bad, it's just sensitive.

Enter Pooh's Heffalump Movie. Up until very recently, Z had minimal exposure to the whole series so I wasn't sure he would even be interested in the film. (Can I call it a "film?") But, I read about it on commonsensemedia.org and thought it would be perfect for our next family movie night.

Indeed, Z was enthralled for the entire 68 minutes. The story, about diversity and friendship, is sweet and just about the right speed for children Zander's age. He did end up a bit afraid during some of the more suspenseful parts, but did not ask that we fast forward through them. Granted, Brad and I were not exactly on the edge of our seats, but we weren't completely bored either.

The only major drawback that I could see is the rampant commercialization of the Winnie the Pooh characters. Why just yesterday I *had* to buy Z a cute little stuffed Lumpy. FYI, you can see a trailer (after a short advertisement) here.

P.S. Friday night we were treated to some spontaneous babysitting by Grandma Paula and, for the record, No Country for Old Men, very good but definitely not for children.

No comments: