Monday, April 7, 2008

Punctuation Junction

Zander has developed an interest in punctuation these days. Yup, I said punctuation. And you know what, a lot like the song "Infinity" mentioned here, some of this stuff is hard to explain to an almost four-year-old.

He knows to pause at commas (which he sometimes calls "comets"). Initially, we failed to explain apostrophes which, when you think about it, look exactly like commas, only higher up. But who explains apostrophes to a preschooler? So, he was pausing whenever he saw an apostrophe.

Brad once told Z that an exclamation point is an indicator that the sentence was extra important. This has translated into Zander actually YELLING the word, sometimes the entire sentence, that precedes an exclamation point. Think: GO DOG GO! And you can bet he will correct either one of us when we don't do so.

P.S. I realize the real Schoolhouse Rock song was Conjunction Junction, but I couldn't come up with anything better for a title. It's the pressure of NaBloPoMo, what can I say?

3 comments:

Simona said...

I'd say it's time to get him Lynne Truss' "Eats, Shoots & Leaves" :).

JCB said...

My cousin always says that it is a clever book. Come to think of it, it's not the first time you've mentioned it to me either. Must get new book. Must get new book...

Simona said...

I cannot remember having mentioned it to you; maybe in a parallel life? :) But then, my memory has never been great. I'm just reading it now and only bought it a week ago; can't imagine when I mentioned it...

But yes, it really is a clever book. She has quite a bit of punctuation history in it. Very interesting stuff! We're building Zander's library here :).