Friday, July 25, 2008

Semantics?

I don't usually write back-to-back Zanderism posts, but this one is too good not to mention. It's an ideal example of how adults take certain things for granted about language and how differently children's minds might picture what thet hear.

(That being said, I've already mentioned it to a few people and they barely chuckle.) You have been warned.

The Background:
Yesterday, I picked up Zander from school and told him that we were going to a movie "rental store" to pick-up a movie for Family Movie Night. Zander asked what a "rental store" was. I explained that it is kind of like the library, where we borrow books for a limited time and then have to return them -- the only difference being that the library rents books for free and we have to pay at the rental store. I went on to explain that people can rent all sorts of things -- from rug cleaning equipment to cars.

Me: "As a matter of fact, before Daddy and I were married, I rented an apartment!"
Zander: "But how did you carry the apartment?"

No comments: