Tuesday, September 30, 2008

No jokes please (OR Happy Rosh Hashanah '08)

Hard to explain this one, but here goes...

We went to a Rosh Hashanah (the Jewish New Year) service for children this morning. As part of the service, the children sang a song during which each would hold up a sign with a particular verse. The song was called "Five Little Shofars." (A shofar is basically a trumpet made from a ram's horn and blown on Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur.) Zander's line was "I'm hard to blow."

Here are the lyrics to "Five Little Shofars:"

Five little shofars in a row.
The first one said, "I'm hard to blow."
The second one said, "My sound is low."
The third one said, "I'm the best you know."
The fourth one said, "That's really not so."
The fifth one said, "I've got to go."
Five little shofars in a row.
Five little shofars blow, blow, blow!

Below is a photo of a woman demonstrating how the shofar is actually a ram's horn. Soon after she let the children smell it and touch it. And then she blew it.

Why do I feel dirty now?

8 comments:

Brad said...

Can't file this one under the "like father, like son" heading...

BTW - why is the funny woman holding the pointed end of the horn against her head? Is that a Jewish thing?

LCM said...

I think it's entirely possible that this post, and the subsequent comment, will warrant at least one full year of therapy for your child. Or are you going to selectively delete posts before teenage Zander see this??? (LOL)

KRISTI said...

I hope you don't mind, I posted this photo on my blog tonight with a link to yours. It's far funnier than anything I have come up with in a while.

JCB said...

LCM-I'm hoping maybe he won't get it. I actually didn't fully understand Brad's comment at first. Not sure what that says about me.

JCB said...

Kristi - I'm flattered...I think. ;)

wrekehavoc said...

heh.

i have to share this.

in other news, last year, a chabad guy came to our hebrew school and taught the kids how to make shofars. let me tell you -- those things SMELL. BC didn't want hers anywhere near our house.

in still other news, l'shana tova!

mixtapetherapy said...

I have no words - was this done at MY syngagogue? Say it ain't so!

JCB said...

Hi Caren. Not at your synagogue... no worries. We went to services at Kol Ami -- the Northern Virginia Reconstructionist Community. The donation price was, um, right. (Went there last year too.) Looked like tickets were no longer available from your place. But trust me -- next year, we'll be there! ;)