Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Disney Princesses

They are what I stay up at night worrying about these days. Okay, they are only *one* of the things I worry about. And, I know that just by posting it here, karma dictates that this little girl we will meet in the next two months or so will be enthralled with Disney Princesses. Our house will be inundated with them, just as it is with Thomas trains. But, try as I might, I cannot find as many things inherently wrong with the Thomas craze when compared to the Disney Princess phenomena.

I mean no offense or judgement if you are already immersed in the princess culture. Before I had children, I actually thought things like "I would never do that with my kids." But now, I know better. Heck, I even sometimes think, "We'll see...that might work just perfect with my kids." But, as someone who has struggled with body image issues most of her life, I want to avoid that for our daughter, and I see the princess culture as one of many pervasive and often blatant messages in our culture that girls have to look (and be) a certain way in order to be accepted.

Note: This video, part of the "Target Women" series, is a satirical look at Disney Princesses, and truth be told -- gives me hope. Target Women is a recurring segment on Current TV's weekly television show, infoMania. In each episode, Sarah Haskins takes a look at the often-ridiculous way the media reaches out to women. For more episodes of Target Women, see this link.


2 comments:

Andy said...

You can have all of our Princess stuff.

JCB said...

Um, thanks Andy. But, I'd rather have that cool backyard playset if it's okay with you. ;)