Sunday, January 18, 2009

Silent Reflux?

Sounds like it it should be the title of a movie, eh? Oh, how I wish it was...

Apologies for the drought in posting. We've had a rough couple days here. Seems I shouldn't have been kvetching about the lack of excitement -- the universe decided to listen.

At some point in the last 48 hours, Cassandra started crying -- no, not crying -- screaming, and hasn't stopped since. Okay, that's not exactly true. She has stopped for little bits of sleeping here and there. And truth be told, she had a decent night last night.

Seems Cassie might have silent reflux, according to our pediatrician, whom we are getting to know quite well. All *I* know is that she won't nurse (Cassie, not the pediatrician), yet is very hungry. Putting a baby to the breast and having her scream bloody murder at the very site of it? Um, that's a blow to my mothering ego for sure.

It's called "silent reflux" because she doesn't spit up or vomit, which is the hallmark sign of reflux in a baby. In fact, she has spit up exactly once in her lifetime (all five and half weeks of it).

So, we're in a bit of waiting game right now. Trying to keep her hydrated until the medicine kicks in and she is, hopefully, willing to start nursing again.

* * * * * *

P.S. And for the record, while Brad and I were taking turns trying to comfort the screaming, sleepless baby, Zander watch television or played on the computer from about 11:00am until 4:00pm, with short breaks for lunch and snacks, of course. Seriously. I'm not proud of it.

P.P.S. Yes, I realize there is a glorious, historic event taking place in the next few days not 15 miles from where I live. I realize that life is bigger than crying babies. It's just hard to see the forest through the trees right now.

No comments: