Thursday, February 19, 2009

On and off of my high horse

Can't believe I'm going to go here, but I am...

Have you heard the ruckus about the actress Salma Hayek breastfeeding? Basically, she nursed a sick, one week old baby (who wasn't her baby). You can see it on the ABC News site after a short commercial here.

I always liked Salma Hayek and I like her more now. Mostly because she is an outspoken advocate of breastfeeding and talks about how she is still nursing her own daughter at a year. (In the circles I run nowadays, a year is a short time to nurse.) Regardless, I say, "Big deal!" Let her nurse whomever she wants. Why do we care? If a sick baby who wasn't going to get any breastmilk gets some -- and breastmilk will help that sick baby -- good for her (and for the baby)!

Getting off my high horse now.

2 comments:

Andy said...

Did you hear about the police woman in China who breastfed 9 children orphaned as a result of the huge earthquake they had last year?

Apparently she got promoted, which stirred up controversy because some people felt promotions should be based on merit and not just good deeds. Whatever.

I don't understand why people get so worked up about breastfeeding. Is the ruckus that she breastfed a baby that wasn't hers? That she did it on TV? Considering the things they show on TV these days I think we'd be better off if it was just breastfeeding all day long.

JCB said...

Hadn't heard about that! Not sure about the promotion, but an act of kindness, for sure. Good point about what's on tv these days. Sigh.