Friday, June 5, 2009

Picture yourself in a boat on a river

Zander had his 5-year pediatric check-up today and I got to take him. I say "I got to" because any time alone with Z is special to me these days. We just don't have it as much as we used to.

Just the fact that he is five (five!) and already his own little person amazes me. On the way to the appointment, he noted that it was "rush hour," which indeed it was. I asked how he knew that and he said he saw a Metro train with eight cars on it and they usually do that for rush hour. (Really? Now I'm learning things from him.)

Next, while we're waiting in the exam room this happens:

Zander: "Can I have your phone to take a picture?"
Zander: [pause] [smile]
Zander: "...picture yourself in a boat on a river..."
Get it? He was singing the lyrics to the Beatles song Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

Finally, we bring Zander's Taggies blanket to these check-ups in case he gets a shot. Since it was raining outside, I kept her (Taggies is a 'she') in my purse. At one point early in the check-up Zander said to the doctor, "I'm ready for my shot now!" (I think this was because he wanted Taggies.) Regardless, when the time came and he was clutching Taggies, the shot came and went without even a whimper from Z.

If only we all had a Taggies, right?

No comments: