Friday, July 17, 2009

Food, Glorious Food

Cassandra is eating it! We started her on 'solids' a week or after her six-month birthday. At first she wasn't too thrilled and probably wasn't really ready. But, then a dear friend came over and made a ton of homemade, organic baby food for Cass. (I was supposed to be paying attention so I can do it again when we run out.) Anyway, this coincided with a genuine readiness in Cassandra and she has been off to the races ever since.

She does, however, seem more finicky than Zander was at this age. He pretty much ate everything and didn't show much of a reaction. Cassandra, on the other hand, makes funny faces, spits the food out, and then keeps her mouth closed to show her preference. We send sent some green beans to 'school' (aka daycare) with her and the daily sheet that reports what she ate said the beans were "refused."

As a side note, I continue to count the months left I have to pump. (Okay, so I *choose* to pump.) Now, we're down to five. I'll count again tomorrow and it will still be five, but it makes me feel better. I'd nurse this child for as long as she wants, but I am so looking forward to not having to pump (twice a day while at work and on the occasional weekend day to stay caught up).

This doesn't mean I'm not a tad melancholy about the introduction of solid food. It's the first of many ways that little Cassandra will no longer need me and that is both freeing and a bit sad. My baby is growing up.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Looks like sashimi to me except for the green stuff.

Blood Centers of the Pacific said...

So your friend bought that whole, "yeah, if you do it for me, I'll watch so I can do it myself next time!" thing? Nice.