Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Another first

This is my little boy willingly getting on a big GIANT public school bus to go off to his first day of kindergarten. I think this photo caught him just as he was contemplating whether or not he really wanted to get on. Indeed, there were days when we doubted he would ever willingly do this. Remember the gymnastic debacle?

Four different buses past by before his stopped. When I saw the lights go on and the red "stop" sign come out, I grabbed my sunglasses (at the suggestion of another parent -- to hide my eyes even though it was a cloudy day), the camera, and we hopped out of the car. It all happened so fast -- before I knew it he was on the bus and the driver barked, "Kindergartners need to sit near the front!" And then they were off. My baby, my first born. Off on a bus. It was a first for him and a first for me. I cried like a baby. The other, more seasoned parent who was kind (and somewhat amused) asked for my camera to take a picture of me on Z's first day. (As you might imagine, that photo has since been confiscated and destroyed.)

Honestly, I think I was/am more nervous about this major transition than Z is.

P.S. They ask that the children wear those big name badges for the first two weeks. The badges indicate where they should go after kindergarten ends. (Ours is one of a handful of schools in the state that does not have all day kindergarten, so Z is in after-kindergarten care and then in after-after-kindergarten care. Long story.) Lord, please don't let them lose him during the day as he transfers from place to place.

No comments: