Friday, October 30, 2009

Minor in the grand scheme of things, but sticking with me nonetheless

This is so minor in the grand scheme of things, but I don't feel like I'm going to get over it quickly: Cassandra burned her hand yesterday. I was cooking reheating in the kitchen at the time.

A few weeks ago we checked to be sure that the oven door didn't get hot in case she was playing in there during just such an occasion. But, we failed to check the recessed inch between the oven door and the drawer under the oven where little Cassandra chose to stick her hand.

She screamed and I went right over to her, thinking at first that her hand was stuck (and also maybe getting burned). By the time I got her up, I couldn't figure out which hand it was and whether or not she was crying because it had been stuck or because it was burned. So, I ran both under cold water and tried to soothe her. She calmed down pretty quickly, but continued to cry. Two of her tiny, sweet fingers developed blisters soon after -- 2nd degree burns. Do you know how painful those kinds of burns are?!

She is so much more active than Zander was at this age. I've been meaning to write a post about their differences just because it's so interesting. At 10.5 months, Cassandra has crawled up the stairs many times -- Zander didn't even know we had stairs at that age. I know part of this is a function of how different we are with Cassandra, but part of it is also her personality and that she is the 2nd child.

Anyway, as I said, in the grand scheme of things, this burn is nothing. Her fingers will be fine in a few weeks and we will forget about it. Mostly I feel like an idiot letting her crawl around in the kitchen at all and I can't shake how much worse it could have been.

2 comments:

lisabloch said...

Don't be too hard on yourself! We can't prepare for every little possible thing (like her getting her hand in that exact tiny space that got hot). That said, I'm sure it must've been really scary and I'm so sorry it happened! Kisses to you all.

kristi said...

it's a wonder we've been to the ER as few times as we have. lisa is right, don't be too hard on yourself. it happens to the best of us. repeatedly. and btw...I finally blogged for you!