Thursday, September 16, 2010

Fire Drills and Lockdowns

Fire drills have always freaked Zander out. Of course we didn't realize this until last year at the start of kindergarten after he experienced his first real drill. For weeks afterwards, we endured question after question about what *we* would do in a fire.

Truth be told, they were all good questions, like so many of the other ones that come out of this boy. But, they aren't necessarily questions that adults (me) are willing to entertain in their psyches for long periods of time. Think along the lines of "What happens if we don't hear the the alarm?" Regardless, last year as a result of Zander's good questions, we went out and got a ladder so we could at least escape from the 2nd floor if needed.

Well, today was another fire drill at school. At bedtime he told me again how he doesn't like them. He said the alarm almost "broke off my ears." What follows is a list of *some* of the questions he asked.

  • Do we have a ladder? [I was proud to say, "Yes! We do have a ladder!"}
  • What if I don't hear the alarm and you have to carry me down the stairs and there are flames on them?
  • What if we can't call 911? I wish it were shorter than three numbers!
  • How will they know where our house is?
  • Can fire get through doors? What about wooden doors?

As the questioning went on (and on), my instinct told me this was a losing battle. I finally told him to think happy thoughts about building ships with legos (a recent obsession) and about his friend's upcoming birthday party. As I write this, I am considering e-mailing his teacher to see if we can get a heads-up about when the "lockdown drill" will be occuring this year. I am so not ready for those questions.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Look at the bright side. You don't have to explain why he has to get under his desk in case of a nuclear bomb attack.