Thursday, November 11, 2010

Confessions of a Helicopter Parent

Honestly, I'm not sure who these photos say more about -- Cassandra or me.

I was (am?) such a helicopter parent with Zander. When he was Cassandra's age, if a playground had a sign that said "Ages 5 and up," gosh darn it I'd go find one that was appropriate for his little legs. I definitely would not have let him hang from monkey bars or climb up at a ladder at 23 months old.

I know, I know. It was a disservice to him. There is some kind of famous saying about treating your 1st child as if he or she were your 3rd child. I had heard it and I knew it, but I couldn't do it. It's in my nature to over-parent and I have to fight the temptation all the time.

I'm still a nervous nelly of a mom when it comes to things like below, but at least I let her try them. I spot her and try my best to keep her safe (in between grabbing my phone to take pictures, of course.) The truth, worrying less gives me more space to enjoy this stage, which is going by all too quickly.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Well, my third child, I still hovered when it came to physical activities. It the Jewish mother in me.