Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy _________(holiday starting with the letter "V") Day!

In January, I stumbled across a mention of some MadLibs-themed valentines by a crafty, mommy-blogger friend whom I've known since I was a little girl. I always knew she was talented, but further digging revealed that she actually wrote an article about her MadLibs valentines. (See page 22 of this issue of Modern Handmade Child for the article or just go to her blog to see a photo of her masterpieces.)

Anyway, Zander loves MadLibs these days and knowing I am nowhere near as artistic as Kristi, I decided to take her idea and work with it best I could. Zander was thrilled to come up with the text for a personalized class valentine. In all honesty, I *did* steer him from having each blank be a "noun" in which the word "poop" or "booger" would easily fit. He is a six-and-a-half-year-old boy, after all.

He dictated and I typed. Afterward, we printed it and tested it a few times for good measure. (I'm sure this breaks every copyright possible, but it's 1st grade, so I'm hoping to avoid jail time.) Next, Zander wrote the names of his classmates and his name on each sheet, we affixed individually-wrapped lifesavers, rolled the papers up, and tied them with a ribbon. (See photo above for the finish products.)

Below is only an excerpt. (I've blurred out a few identifying characteristics to protect the innocent.)

2 comments:

kristi said...

But you, my dear, made your OWN mad libs? That's amazing. I didn't even think of that. I just bought two books from the store and tore out two pages per kid. You rock! Thanks for all the mentions :)

Susan said...

You are so crafty. I will bequeath to you my rubber stamps, stamp pads, reinkers, embellishments (brads,* eyelets, charms, jewels, stickers, flowers, buttons, feathers, beads, etc.), ribbons, scissors (decorative and other wise), paper cutters, punches, papers, envelopes, markers, watercolor crayons, Prismacolor pencils, Gamsol, brushes, adhesives, heating tool, embossing powders, organizers .................

*I know you have one of these but I have hundreds.